Stari Grad is village with harbour located by the bay Stari Grad, which is at northwest coast of island Hvar. The chief occupations are farming, growing of grape vine, olive trees, fruits, fishing and tourism. Around the centre of the old town are built new tourist complex.
In the bays are beautiful beaches. The scheduled line connects Stari Grad with Split. In the ferry’s harbour are also international lines as: Rijeka – Zadar – Split – Stari Grad – Korcula – Sobra – Dubrovnik – Bari. The first village was built in the 4th century B.C., when Greeks established the colony Pharos, the oldest town centre in Croatia. After the year 1205 was the village called Civitas Vetus (Old town – Stari Grad), in the same time started to built new town – Hvar. The most important monuments are: the reminds of Romans house, the church of St. Ivan from 12th century, summer residency of poet Petar Hektorovic from year 1520 – Tvrdalj, church St. Rik from year 1569, baroque church of St. Stjepan from year 1605, Dominican monastery from 1482 (rebuilt in year 1682), baroque square Skor and couple of baroque houses. In the 19th century was Stari Grad one of the most important mariner centres in the Dalmaci